The deployment steps to enable iOS Per-App VPN differ based on the currently deployed MDM.
The following are two step-by-step examples of the most common MDM solutions - MobileIron and AirWatchMobileIron Deployment (iOS 7 and above )
It is presumed that the administrator has a basic understanding of the MobileIron solution. For additional details, please refer to the MobileIron documentation. MobileIron requires an additional license to enable Per-App VPN settings. All details of integration are subject to change. The screenshots in this document are taken from MobileIron Version Core 18.104.22.168 Build 140.
- Once logged in to the MobileIron server, navigate to Policies & Configs. Click on Add New in the drop-down menu and select VPN. MobileIron requires the use of certificate authentication. Optionally, the administrator can configure Safari Domains or VPN on Demand. Please note the Connection Type: Custom SSL and Identifier: net.pulsesecure.PulseSecure.vpnplugin
Note: For Per-App VPN to automatically connect, VPN on Demand must be configured to trigger the VPN connection.
AirWatch Deployment (iOS 7 and above)
- After a VPN profile has been set up, the administrator can now apply the profile to individual managed applications. Navigate to the Apps tab, and change the “Selected Platform” to iOS. Selecting the edit option for a given application brings up settings for that application. Find the Per-App VPN setting and select the newly created VPN profile in the drop-down menu. Click Save. Repeat for each and every application that needs to send data over the VPN.
It is presumed that the administrator has a basic understanding of the AirWatch solution. For additional details, please refer to the AirWatch documentation. All details of integration are subject to change. The screenshots in this document are taken from AirWatch version 22.214.171.124
- Log in to the AirWatch console and navigate to Devices, Profiles, List View, and select +Add. From here, select iOS and then VPN from the iOS drop-down menu.
- Fill out the VPN profile and choose connection and authentication settings. Click Save. Please note the Connection Type: Custom and Identifier: net.pulsesecure.PulseSecure.vpnplugin
- Navigate to the Apps & Books tab. Locate each iOS application in a managed application list that needs to send data over the VPN, and edit the application settings. In the Deployment tab of the application settings, enable the Use VPN check box.