Actions to take before upgrading
- Download the desired firmware to your desktop from the Pulse Secure Support website:
- Locate a copy of the firmware that is currently running on the PPS. If you do not have a copy of the firmware, download it from the support site
- Backup the PPS configuration by going to Troubleshooting > Import/Export. Backup both the Import/Export Configuration and the Import/Export Users.
- Schedule the upgrade during a maintenance window. Depending on your configuration, expect 20-30 minutes of downtime.
Begin the upgrade
- Upgrade installations of the Odyssey Access Client to the version that corresponds to the desired PPS firmware.
- If the PPS is in an Active/Passive cluster, then all actions should be performed on the Active Node. If the PPS is in an Active/Active cluster, then any node can be used.
- An upgrade of the PPS firmware will result in an upgrade of Odyssey Access Client, the next time the client connects to the PPS. If your company uses the Odyssey Access Client to connect to the PPS, it is recommended to upgrade the Odyssey Access client, before upgrading PPS.
- Disable all user logins. Go to System > Status > Active Users and click Disable All Users.
- Upgrade the IC firmware. Go to Maintenance > System > Upgrade/Downgrade, browse to the PPS firmware on your desktop, and then click Install Now.
- The PPS will upgrade and then reboot.
If the PPS is in an Active/Passive cluster and the Active node finishes upgrading and reboots, the VIP will flip to the Passive node. When the Active node finishes rebooting, it will re-join the cluster and the VIP should revert from the Passive node to the Active node. Then, the new firmware will be copied over to the Passive node and the upgrade will take place on the Passive node. The Passive node should reboot, when the upgrade is complete.
In an Active/Active cluster, the other Active node(s) will follow a similar order of events.
- Check the status on the System > Clustering > Cluster Status screen. Wait until both of the nodes are back in the cluster.
- After the Passive node has rejoined the cluster, wait for 5 minutes.
- Enable all user logins. Go to System > Status > Active Users and click Enable All Users.